Sunday, April 23, 2006

HERE WE GO WITH THE "COMPOSTING" AGAIN!

I started my yearly spring chore of emptying my primary (working) compost bin this past week before the rains came. I didn’t get to empty the whole thing, because as is so often the case at this time of year, the bottom is still frozen! But I got started anyway.
Let me attempt to explain. I have 3 bins, side by side. The large, primary, working bin is to the far left of the bunch. It’s made of cedar slats. Next to that I have two smaller bins made of cement blocks. It’s all a very simple affair.
The left one is the “working” bin. Next to that is the one where I dump the stuff from last years working bin that ”hasn’t completely broken down”. I figure it’s full of all the good “bugs” needed to keep the pile working. The farthest one to the right is the “finished compost” from the bottom of the bin. (The stuff that is frozen at the moment.) That’s where I take compost for the garden.
The first one is where I dump all my yard waste and kitchen scraps (sans cooked or fatty material). Each time I put some new stuff in there, I take a shovel full of the second bin’s contents and spread over it. It covers it and adds working organic “stuff”. This makes the whole procedure very easy and do-able. The toughest part is this spring reshuffling of materials.
I found a wonderful site from Montana State University that gives more information on composting than you could want in a lifetime. I would suggest if you want to learn a bit more that you might visit this site.
Following this posting I’ve also added some books from Amazon and a compost bin. I’m familiar with “Let it Rot” and “Worms Eat my Garbage”. This last book addresses vermiculture which is a whole other issue, but I thought some of you might just be interested in this kind of thing. They are both very good. The bin looks pretty acceptable for those who don't want to build a bin from scratch.

2 Comments:

At April 24, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kewl stuff... but how about some practical advice for us city-slicker-gardeners?? I planted 8 or so tulips last fall... only one made it to bloom, the others were snipped by squirrels or otherwise frosted. Should I trim them to soil level or let the greens stay?

 
At April 24, 2006, Blogger North Country Maturing Gardener said...

Leave those leaves! The bulbs need to absorb all the nutrients they can get from the leaves. Don't cut leaves off any bulbs after flowering. Let them die all by themselves. After they die back, THEN you can cut them off. Maybe I should do a posting about this!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home