Friday, October 13, 2006

NEWLY PLANTED BULBS

Sorry I've been gone so long. I've been nursing a very sore jaw. I didn't know if it was an ear, or a tooth infection. I finally narrowed it down to a tooth. So, now I've still got a sore jaw, but it's due to a root canal I had done yesterday. Anyway, back to the garden!
Have you gotten those new bulbs into the ground yet? I know you're interested in protecting them from the freeze that is surely coming our way, BUT...
Don't mulch those bulbs quite yet! If you mulch them (or your perennial bed, etc.) too early the mulch will keep the frost OUT of the soil, and the ground will heave and dislodge those bulbs and roots. So, be sure the ground is well frozen before the mulch goes on. By doing it in this order, the bulbs will be frozen into the soil (which is nature's plan incidently!) and will not be disturbed during the winter, by freezing and thawing.
If you already have mulch on your garden from earlier this year, that's fine, just leave it there. I'm talking about EXTRA mulch that you put on specifically for winter protection!

3 Comments:

At October 13, 2006, Blogger PatL said...

Commiserations on your root canal and subsequent sore jaw. I recall having localized soreness, but I don't recall it affecting my whole jaw after mine. Sorry to hear that's how it's hit you!

Is it too late to plant bulbs? I have a bunch of nice big daff bulbs and one giant allium that I haven't gotten in yet. How do you know when it's too late? Do bulbs actually do anything in the fall, like send out little rootlets, or do they just lie there till spring?

 
At October 13, 2006, Blogger North Country Maturing Gardener said...

Early fall is the best time for planting bulbs because they will have time to grow some roots before the ground freezes. Bulbs planted in November may not have time to produce at least some roots. This won't be a huge problem...(I have planted bulbs right up until I can no longer dig in the soil) However, the bloom can be less than dependable. Some will be small, some large, some will not bloom at all. BUT, it's better to plant them, rather than store them! If stored, they may dry up and disintegrate. At least if you plant them, they will continue to improve each year!

 
At October 14, 2006, Blogger PatL said...

Super, thank you! I will also do some fertilizing; have never done that in the fall before. Thanks for the tips!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home