Monday, June 16, 2008

AN AGING GARDENER

I'm still occupied way too much inside. I'm getting old and creaky and my garden is suffering. Is anyone else out there feeling like that?
I've spent quite a few years getting the garden to take care of itself. Mostly perennials that flower on a "rotational" basis; heavy mulching; plants suited to their environment; you name it, I've tried it. However, no garden can take care of itself entirely. It will revert back to nature and the original "Garden of Eden" template. What that means is weeds. I've got 'em.
So, when my schedule allows and my body is willing, I will go out into the garden and do some weeding. I will have some compost with me to sprinkle around every plant I pass. I will pull out everything in my path that doesn't belong, and then I will drag my sorry body back into the house to lick my wounds and start again. It sounds terrible.
However, consider that the garden still flowers prolifically all by itself, even with the weeds. I am still proud every time I pass it. I'm so grateful to my mother for introducing me to this wonderful hobby. Actually, it's not a hobby but rather a way of life.
Those of you who are just starting out in gardening, let me tell you that it is addictive. It is SO satisfying to expend that energy, stand back and be able to admire the work that you have done. It will continue to reward you throughout your life. It will make you glow with pride when someone compliments you on it's appearance. It's the source of one of life's greatest 'highs'.
I have had so many wonderful, gardening years. I loved EVERY minute. Now, I'm just getting tired. I wish my body was a bit more resilient, but it's not. Now I will enjoy writing about gardening and answering your questions. I will thank my husband as he bends and kneels, weeding and helping me in any way he can. A garden is hard when the body begins to break down. So, enjoy working there when you can and realize that the day will come when it needs to take care of itself as much as possible. Plant and plan accordingly.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home