Saturday, January 02, 2010

CHRISTMAS CACTUS

When my mother died, close to 15 years ago, I was the fortunate recipient of her Christmas Cactus.
But, it bloomed many times, and the blooms were different. It took me a few years to realize that she had planted all three kinds of Cactus (Christmas, Thanksgiving and Easter) in the same pot!!! To this day, I still enjoy that plant. I have repotted it at least once and it LOVED the space and showed me by becoming very large and quite beautiful.
At any rate when I found an article about these different cactus plants, I thought I'd share it with you. I got it from Suzanne DeJohn, She has a gardening blog that you will find by clicking on her name.
I hope you enjoy the article, I know I did!

"Christmas Cactus
Another tropical plant that has come to symbolize the holidays is the Christmas cactus. Native to South America, the plant is a tropical rainforest epiphyte, growing high in the tree branches. Despite abundant rainfall, water up there drains quickly so the plant is adapted to short periods of drought.

Every wonder why your "Christmas" cactus blooms too early? It's possible that it's a Thanksgiving cactus. Although similar in appearance, they are different plants. Both Christmas cactus (Schlumbergera russelliana, aka S. bridgesii) and Thanksgiving cactus (Schlumbergera truncata) respond to the shortening days of autumn by setting flower buds -- Thanksgiving cactus just responds about a month sooner. To tell them apart, examine the leaf pads. Leaf segments of Christmas cactus are gently lobed; those of Thanksgiving cactus have spikes on the sides of the stem segments.

If your cactus blooms too late, it might be an Easter cactus (Hatiora gaertneri, formerly called Schlumbergera gaertneri and Rhipsalidopsis gaertneri). Look closely at the tops of the leaf segments. If there are small bristles, you have an Easter cactus."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home