Thursday, April 28, 2005

LET'S TALK!

In this article, Experts: New Data Show Global Warming - Yahoo! News, there appears proof that Global Warming is not a joke! It's for REAL!

I'd love to have a conversation here about WHAT we as home gardeners can do to help. Obviously, it won't be profound on each of our little pieces of property, but if EACH gardener did their part...it would, or COULD add up to a significant help to our parched earth.

I'd like to offer the first piece of advice for each of us to contemplate. COMPOST whatever you possibly can. Everything that is composted goes back into the earth as healthy, rich soil. Compost is much better for your garden than the chemicals for which you pay an arm and a leg. Let's try to garden chemical free. There are so many benefits to gardening this way.

Next, talk with someone today about helping them get a composting project going.

Then, let's teach a few youngsters about this process. Wouldn't it be wonderful if the next generation of gardeners were true composters?

This is just one little idea that won't have a huge impact, unless we ALL do it!

So, start making your voice heard in this BLOG. Add a comment about YOUR idea!



5 Comments:

At April 28, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's a great idea, but how about doing something in the community to encourage recycling? I know that isn't gardening as such, but it gets people thinking in the right direction.
Another idea for the GARDENERS is to use IPM. Maybe you could explain that?

 
At April 29, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My rabbits and I do our part on composting: I have about 75 feet of 3 foot high compost pile going. Right now, the middle of it is the lovely rich soil, about 30 feet of it are doing double duty smothering the poison ivy under the pine trees, and the rest is this year's fresh "under hutch clean up". My approach to composting is pretty simple: I dump the stuff in a pile and let it do it's thing without interference from me. A year later, I have that great soil. Every year, I put fresh rabbit droppings directly in the garden, then cover it with a layer of compost and grow veggies that I share with the rabbits. A nice circle of life thing going in the back yard. Anyone want some good compost material, find a rabbit breeder!

 
At April 29, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm ready for some of that rabbit "compost"! Where can I sign on???

 
At May 05, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My bit for global warming is to plant trees to compensate for journies made by aircraft. Aviation fuel is untaxed and makes a huge contribution to global warming

 
At May 06, 2005, Blogger North Country Maturing Gardener said...

Hey John,
I didn’t know aviation fuel was untaxed. We fly all the time and were not aware of that. I’ll have to check that out!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home