Thursday, August 04, 2005

STUCK AT HOME DEPOT

It happened again! My husband needed something at Home Depot. I usually go to the garden center and see if there isn't something I just can't do without. However, since I'm retiring from gardening (except for this) I'm trying very hard NOT to buy any plant material. So, what to do while he does HIS thing???
I found a chair...wonder of wonders...and it was RIGHT BY A BOOK ON ORCHIDS! Now, I have one orchid left from the 3 or 4 I used to have when the light was right, at our last house. It's too shady here for orchids. We're in the woods. At any rate, I have one struggling Phalaenopsis, but I can always learn more, right? So, I settled down to read, and read, and read...WHERE was he?
I read just about the entire book (skimming, of course) and went to look for him down every aisle. No husband! I went to the car, still no sign of him. So, back to the book, this time reading a bit more carefully. I finished the WHOLE thing! Now I had to get serious about this. I hadn't heard any ambulances pull up, the car was still there with NO packages in it. I guess I had to walk up and down all the aisles.
There he was about 100 feet from where I had been sitting. He had been looking for me as well, but each of us was sitting behind something else and not readily visible from anywhere. We were both "miffed" with the other, but had to laugh! It really WAS pretty funny. However, I learned a bit more about orchids, and he's on very good terms with his new weed whacker!
I thought you might like to learn a bit more about orchids as well. I checked on some web sites. There are TONS of them. Most want to sell orchids to you. I wanted just information. At any rate, here's a pretty good site. I think if you're interested in ORCHIDS this will be a good place to start. Let me know what you think.

2 Comments:

At August 04, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the info.I've thought about Orchids for a couple of years now. Maybe I'll give them a try:)

 
At August 04, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Orchids are sooo rewarding! The key: figure out which species fits your environment, then fill your space with that kind! I've had a great run with the paphiopedilums. One of them produced a new blossom about every month as the old one died off, for just over a year. The phalenopsis also do well for me. Not so cymbidiums nor cattleyas. Glad you enjoyed reading about them.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home