Sunday, June 19, 2005

MOOSE!

I really think the moose has been here, checked out the hosta...and ATE it!
I've GOT to get some photo's on this page!
A few weeks ago, I looked up from the breakfast table and saw a MOOSE at the foot of the driveway. As soon as I got back with the camera he was of course, gone...or at least behind some trees where a photo wouldn't get him at all! I thought no more of it, except that it was a bit of an adventure.
Then we returned home after being gone a bunch of days, and my hosta were looking like a green, leafless SHELF! If deer nibble at the hosta, it looks nibbled; there are leaves torn off, it is eaten down to nubbins, but it's UNEVEN. This was ALL the exact same level. I think it was the moose!
So, I ran to the garage and broke out the Milorganite. Now, I know that some gardeners are SHOCKED that I use this at all. some consider it "sludge". And, it IS made from sludge generated in Milwaulkee...thus Milorganite. But, the deer HATE it! I usually sprinkle it around my garden a few times during the growing season, and although the deer move through the garden, they never eat my plants. SOOOOO, do you think moose don't like it either? Stay tuned, and I'll let you know how the Hosta fares!
What is nice about Milorganite is that it is a fertilizer, so it really IS good for the garden. For this use, I make sure it's on the leaves as well as the ground. In fact, that's where I want it. It doesn't seem to burn the leaves, so I'm happy. I would NOT use it in a vegetable garden, because it might have "nasties" you don't want to eat. I guess the deer read that information as well as us. I'm happy they do, because I don't like them using my garden for their tossed salad!!!

2 Comments:

At June 19, 2005, Blogger OldRoses said...

Why do you put it on the leaves? I thought plants took up nutrients through their roots and respired through their leaves. Good luck. I hope it works on the moose as well. I've learned to keep my camera handy in the house and always carry it whenever I go outside.

 
At June 20, 2005, Blogger North Country Maturing Gardener said...

I put it on the leaves because it's a deterrent to the animals...the odor, and the taste! The fact that it is also a fertilizer is just a extra added attraction! I WANT that old moose (or deer) to get a good "snootful", sneeze, and vow NEVER to return to MY garden!!! :-)
Yes, you are right, leaves do respire through their leaves. Milorganite doesn't seem to harm the leaves at all. Also, the first time it rains, the granules will wash down onto the ground where the plants will put it to good use.
My camera is handy...just not handy enough THAT day!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home