Sunday, November 11, 2007

WATCHING THE BIRDS

Here I am at the window, counting chickadees and nuthatches again. It must be winter! I count birds for the Cornell Project Feeder Watch program. It increases my knowledge of the birds that visit my feeders. I know now exactly how many of each species of bird comes through the winter. It's kind of fascinating to watch them. Counting them makes me so much more aware of whether I have a strange species, or if it's just my regular neighborhood flock.
It's a wonderful winter project for kids as well as everyone else. I have linked it above so you can go there if you are interested, and perhaps join in the fun. There is a nominal fee that helps defray costs for the University, but it is SO worth it!

2 Comments:

At November 13, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I also love watching the birds and as I live in the frozen north! I have a heated bird bath, which the birds visit often, as well as a constant supply of bird seed.
Enjoy your blog please visit me
Ena

 
At November 13, 2007, Blogger North Country Maturing Gardener said...

I have often toyed with getting a heated water source. We live in the woods with a little brook very close. I have assumed the birds could get all they need in the way of water at the brook. I hope I''m right!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home