Saturday, June 28, 2008

A WALK IN THE GARDEN

As I walk around the garden with Ayla (our visiting dog) I am amazed by how much the garden is giving back to me. I'm struggling, as you know, with the fact that my body doesn't want to do all the things I used to do so easily. I guess it's called AGE.
Anyway, the perennials that I have planted over the years are blooming happily. Wildflowers like daisy's and foxglove are popping up all over the place. If they get intrusive, I just yank them. But, they look pretty in most spots, so I leave them and the whole place looks rather like a cottage garden!
I usually carry some pruners to "dead-head" when needed. That also allows me to do a little light pruning where necessary.
This year, for the first time, my climbing hydrangea is blooming! I planted one at the base of a tree, since they are supposed to like climbing trees, probably 15 years ago. It has NEVER bloomed. I took a piece of it and planted it by a huge tree stump. The stump is now covered with beautiful dark, shiny-leaved climbing hydrangea. This year THAT is in the process of blooming. How lovely! The one on the tree still doesn bloom!
I have also planted a red osier dogwood behind the house many years ago. This year that is also blooming...or at least at the moment, it's in bud. I'm anxious to see how it looks in a week or two.
Overall, I'm happy with my "neglected" garden. It's looking a bit scraggly, but nice. It's "comfortable" if a garden could be labeled that.
Park Seed

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home