Friday, June 26, 2009

COMPOSTING AGAIN

After having been gone a month, my composting has suffered. Being at someone else's house means I didn't have that step to deal with, so I need to get back into the habit of saving stuff for the compost.
I have a little container that sits next to the sink. ALL vegetative matter goes in there, assuming it is not cooked or greasy in any way. I also add egg shells (cooked or raw), coffee grinds and tea bags. I just throw in the little coffee filters with the grinds and the entire teabags with strings, etc. go in. I also put in paper towels that I use to wipe up spills and dry my hands. They break down nicely. Then there's the paper from the shredder. When the little bin gets full, I take it to the compost and dump it in.
It's amazing how composting cuts down on the amount of trash that gets collected! We pay for individual collections and in the summer that drops dramatically! I don't compost in the winter because I can't get to the compost bins due to snow. I've thought of a worm bin...but not too seriously.
If you're not composting...try it! Next year your garden will be SO happy!

2 Comments:

At July 16, 2009, Anonymous Shredding said...

Do you know if it makes a difference if you use the shredded paper from a crosscut shredder or a strip cut shredder?

 
At July 16, 2009, Blogger North Country Maturing Gardener said...

It makes no difference whatsoever! The smaller the shred, however...the quicker it will decompose.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home