Tuesday, July 14, 2009

RACCOONS

I just read an editorial by Brent Staples in the New York Times. He lives in Brooklyn and is bothered by raccoons. City folks have a real issue with these bad boys and can't shoot them; neither can they trap them, because then what do they do? Drive them to the Catskills?
Anyway, I suggested he try sprinkling capsaicin around the perimeter of his yard. That just might discourage them. Here is the note I sent to him. Perhaps it might help you too if you live in an urban setting.

"I read your article on your raccoon issue. I live in New Hampshire where raccoons are not a big problem. However, I'm also a Master Gardener who is often confronted with questions about "pests" and how to deal with them.
Raccoons are often a problem because other than shooting or trapping, there are few deterrents. However, there is ONE.
Try Capsaicin, which essentially is "hot sauce". It's what makes red peppers HOT. You can sprinkle that around the perimeter of the yard (either in powder form or liquid) and maybe they just might be discouraged from entering your little Eden!"


3 Comments:

At July 20, 2009, Anonymous Jen said...

I think the hot sauce is a great suggestion. I was using powdered cayenne pepper this year to keep the mom bunny rabbit from using my flower bed as a nursery for her baby bunnies. Those baby bunnies are awfully cute...but they totally ate my tulip bulbs this past Spring. So, I took precaution this year and everyone has been giving me bottles of cayenne from their pantries that they were not using.
I think the cayenne pepper is a nice organic alternative to the various (expensive) rodent control products out on the market.

P.S. - Love your blog! Lots of good information.

 
At July 20, 2009, Blogger North Country Maturing Gardener said...

I'm glad you're enjoying the blog!

 
At July 21, 2009, Anonymous Barbara said...

Hi, I try to visit a new blog every day, and I just stumbled, into your blog. This year I'm rather a late bloomer in the gardeing process. I found a lot of interesting information on your blog about gardening. So I'll be back to read more.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home