Friday, September 30, 2005

FROST WARNING AGAIN!

My little weather bug on the computer keeps chirping. When I call it up, it tells me (again) we're due for a hard frost. I don't know about you, but this is probably the 5th or 6th warning I've had in my gardening area. My hosta still look great. I haven't had frost enough to knock ANYTHING down yet. How is your area doing?
I have a thistle bird feeder that I've been filling all summer to draw the American Gold Finches. It is getting more and more traffic, mostly from Chickadees at this point. I'm tempted to put the rest of the feeders up. My problem with doing this too early is that we are frequently visited by bears. SO... I usually try to hold off as long as I can.
The other morning I had a lone deer in the garden. I keep a pretty close eye on them when they come. She was gobbling up mushrooms on a dead tree stump. That's OK with me. If she ventured closer to any of my perennials, I would have chased her away. Usually I just sprinkle Milorganite on my plants and it discourages the deer. It also feeds the plants, so it's good for all concerned!

3 Comments:

At September 30, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At October 01, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Last week we had 8 record-breaking highs in a row. Each day it climbed past 100 degrees. We reached the hottest day of the year, 108, after the first day of fall. We're used to hot, but even this is unusual for us. Then on Thursday the first cold air from the north arrived and dropped temperatures from 106 to 88. It was back to 96 today, but promises to cool off next week.

We could use some autumn weather. And rain. Send rain.

 
At October 03, 2005, Blogger North Country Maturing Gardener said...

Now I know why I live in New Hampshire!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home