THE AGING GARDENER-Part 2
This is a continuation of my last post. I hope it isn't too long!
Should you worry about not gardening the way we used to? It’s not called “Adaptive” gardening for nothing. We need to ADAPT our minds as well as our gardens! Life is different now, so let’s see what works.
• Does the garden need some changes, or can you live with what you’ve got?
• Try raised gardens-they can be the most logical for all kinds of reasons.
• There are also hanging plants.
• Wall, trellis and arbor gardens.
• Espaliered trees, both flowering AND fruiting.
• Greenhouse gardening.
• Indoor gardening.
• Be sure your gardens are easy to get to if you need to tend to them regularly.
• Those that take care of themselves like perennials can be off somewhere on their own!
• Build, or have built, platforms in your garden where you can set things you need to get to, like tools or even trays of seedlings.
• Encourage “volunteers” or plants that self seed. They can be lovely and don’t need to be treated as weeds.
• Be sure the soil mixtures you use are easily worked. Use lots of compost.
Next time I'll deal with "tools". Stay tuned!