Friday, March 03, 2006

START LEARNING!

It's SPRING...well almost!
At any rate, it's time to start honing up your knowledge about gardening and all that kind of thing. You can do this in a few ways. If you're willing to spend $70.- or so, you can take a course through the Horticulture Gardening Institute of Michigan State University. Some of the courses look quite interesting. You do it right on your computer. When you have the time . Maybe on a day that's cold and dreary; or pouring? Checi it out!
Another way is of course to just start reading. I have a book I have used since I was FIRST gardening. My mother gave it to me, and I have used it for myself and also to help me answer Master Gardener questions. It's called The Encyclopedia of Organic Gardening and it's put out by Rodale.
Another thing that I do that is very helpful year to year, is to keep a gardening journal. I use one that goes for 10 years, but I totally disregard the years. I just fill in whatever I want on the date and give the year. I don't skip lines if I skip years. I don't know about you, but I don't spend THAT much time writing in it. But, I must say it is VERY helpful when I want to remember what I planted when. It also has places for you to put garden plans, which can be fun. Aside from those goodies, it also has some information on pruning, composting, etc. I tried finding mine at Amazon, but they don't carry the same one. However, here's another one that will more than likely be just fine!

2 Comments:

At March 03, 2006, Blogger Beth said...

Thank you for the great tips! I am a new gardener and am always looking for more ways to learn! I have been keeping a journal, too, just in an old notebook. I've only written one seasons worth of information but I can see how important keeping the records will be! I love your blog and just started one of my own http://elizabethgarens.blogspot.com. I live in Rhode Island and am anxiously awaiting warm weather! Elizabeth

 
At March 03, 2006, Blogger North Country Maturing Gardener said...

You're welcome! I'm glad to see you linked my site. We BOTH wait anxiously for that warmth!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home