Saturday, March 15, 2008

A LITTLE BREAK

I have a few lady bugs that keep us company during the winter. When I see them, I dump them into my house plants. I don't know if they are doing any good there...but they are supposed to eat "bad guys", so maybe that's why I don't seem to have problems with inside insects. I'm not really an indoor plant person, but as an outside gardener, that makes sense to me. Can anyone shed light on that?
Also, yesterday I went for a walk (literally...I didn't go to buy anything) around the inside perimeter of the new Wal-Mart in town. Just as a note, this place is so big it took me 15 minutes to make one pass! ANYWAY, in their gardening section (you didn't think I'd pass right by THAT did you?) were some pots that are WONDERFUL for african violets and other plants that love to be a little moist, and don't like their leaves or feet wet. They actually are two pots, one inside the other. The outside pot is glazed everywhere, while the inside pot is porous. so you plant the violet in the porous pot and set it inside the glazed one which you have filled about 1/3-1/2 with water. The porous pot absorbs whatever the plant requires; you don't have to play nursery-maid; the leaves stay dry; and NEVER does anything get waterlogged or soggy. The soil provides the moisture the plant requires...all by itself. These pots are also wonderful for just about any plant if you find yourself taking a lot of vacations. You can always set them in a larger container (read "sink") when you're not there.

Plow & Hearth

1 Comments:

At March 15, 2008, Blogger CanadianGardenJoy said...

That combination of pots is a great idea !
I can never pass up looking at that section of the store either ..
I also wasn't an indoor plant person either till the last few months when I discovered great little porus pots (for a dollar each !.. at the Dollar Stor of course) .. a wonderful type of pot for succulents ! they survive me and thrive .. i have them on my kitchen window sill and wow .. i am impressed with them.
I wish I had some indoor ladybugs too though !
Joy

 

Post a Comment

<< Home