Wednesday, September 06, 2006

ORCHID COMES INSIDE

It's time, I guess. The temperature has been down to about 45 degrees at night and although my indoor plants aren't really objecting yet, I think it's getting a bit chilly for them outside.
I'm not really an indoor plant person, so I need all the help I can get with those plants. My daughter in-law, the family orchid expert, was up for a visit from Connecticut. I have my two orchids out on the deck where we were sitting, enjoying the day.
"I hate to tell you this, but one of your orchids has scale," she blurted. Hmmmm....
Sure enough, I went over to check the bottoms of the leaves, and there they were, the tell tale white spots denoting "SCALE"!
She instructed me to wipe down each leaf with a cotton swab soaked in alcohol, which I did. The plant looks good now. Could that one treatment have done the job??? I'm a bit afraid to bring it in if it's still afflicted with scale!
Anyone out there had any experience with this???

2 Comments:

At September 06, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm in southern NH, and am wondering when the gardenia needs to come in. It's not as cold here, but I'd like the
plant to winter over nicely. Any suggestions as to when
this should come in, and when in, how to help it tolerate the dry winter?

I overseeded the lawn this past weekend, just in time for the rain.

 
At September 08, 2006, Blogger North Country Maturing Gardener said...

I've never had a gardenia, but I understand they can be kind of persnickity(sp.?)! I'd consider bringing it in any time now. So what if you're a little early? Better early than having it hit with an early frost.
As far as helping it tolerate the dry winter, have you considered misting it occasionally? That can be very effective. Remember it needs bright light in the winter. Keep the compost moist, but use tepid water.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home