Saturday, May 15, 2010

A HUMMINGBIRD IN THE GARDEN

During breakfast we saw our first hummer of the season! He may have been here for awhile, but we just noticed him for the first time this morning. He seemed to be very happy for the hummingbird feeder which has been up for a month anyway.
Here's a site from Wild Birds Forever, all about hummers.
I make about a months supply at once. Of course, I don't have tons of hummers so this takes care of my needs. 1 part sugar to 4 parts water. I bring it ALMOST to a boil. Just enough to melt the sugar, but not burn it. I let it cool and put it in a glass milk bottle which I keep in the 'fridge until I need it. When I want it, I pour it into the feeder and nuke it for 10 seconds. Then out on the deck hook it goes.
Remember you don't want to let it get moldy, so change the nectar at least weekly! I try to do it on Sunday, or whenever it gets empty.
If you haven't seen hummers around your yard, don't let that discourage you. Put up a feeder anyway, you may be AMAZED to see that they are in fact, in your yard. Once you are aware of them, you'll see them everywhere.

2 Comments:

At May 21, 2010, Anonymous Tammy said...

Just discovered your blog! Can't wait to read more. Funny that I was born in NH and now live in CT and that you're a master gardener in both! I live only minutes from UCONN and have considered taking their master gardener courses.

Our hummers came back about 2 weeks ago. I have at least two females this year but I've only briefly seen one male drinking from the feeder. They never fail to bring a smile to my face with their dive bombing and antics! I generally can time their return to when my columbine blossom (which they enjoy).

 
At May 21, 2010, Blogger North Country Maturing Gardener said...

Yes, the hummers are such fun to watch. I also love to hear them when I'm outside.
My columbines are about 2 weeks from blooming, so I think the hummers get to CT and just continue up north, looking for feeders... and maybe creeping phlox which is in it's FULL glory!
Do take the MG course. You won't regret it! :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home