Monday, February 15, 2010

NO SNOW COVER

We went out for pizza tonight. On the way home I couldn't help but be aware that it is really cold, and there is very little if any snow cover. That's not a great thing for our plants, trees and shrubs. The snow provides a layer of insulation...and protection from drying wind.
In our climate the plants are far better off with a snow cover. It helps keep the ground at a constant temperature. It also offers support for fragile stems and trunks.
The only good thing that I can think of is that little rodents that tunnel around in the snow can't really do that if there's no snow. They spend all winter figuring out which tender shoots they can use for food. I guess what that says is that like everything else, there's a good and a bad side for just about everything.

The Post Promotion
I have just listed a new link on the right of my blog. It is for The Cast Aluminum Patio Sets. I think you'll find that their variety is good. There are many things to choose from and they should all hold up pretty well in your garden. Give it a click!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home